Servant to the Truth

A Catholic exploration of the interesting world

Friday, May 06, 2005

Men of Galilee, why do you stand here...

...looking into the sky. The one who has ascended will come again. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

This is admittedly a day late or two days early, depending on the calendar you're following. I'm not a big fan of moving Ascension (or Epiphany or Corpus Christi) to Sunday. So for me, we'll say it's late. Anyway, a nice prayer I like for a holy day such as this is the canticle from the second letter to the Phillipians:

Though he was in the from of God
Jesus did not deem equality with God
Something to be grapsed at

Rather, he emptied himself
And took the form of a slave
Being born in the likeness of men

He was known to be of human estate
And it was thus that he humbled himself
Obidiently accepting even death
Death on a cross

Because of this God highly exalted him
And bestowed on him the name
Above every other name

So that at Jesus' name
Every knee must bend
In the heavens and on the earth
And under the earth

And every tongue proclaim
To the Glory of God the Father
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD.

I can't give credit where credit is due. This is from the English Liturgy of the Hours of the USA. What translation they use for New Testament canticles I'm not sure. Frankly, this is basically from memory so I'm not sure if it's perfect.